Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless and lethal gas produced by burning fuel. Often called ‘The Silent Killer’, 400 Americans die each year of this deadly toxic gas and over 20,000 pay a visit to the emergency room. It’s a threat to everyone in your home so it’s important to learn the basics and prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning. These helpful tips and information will prepare you to keep a watchful eye for signs of carbon monoxide in your home.


Signs of Carbon Monoxide

While carbon monoxide (CO) is considered the silent killer, some reports show there are signs that tell you something isn’t right within your home. The first sign is the air quality. If you notice a stale, musty or rotten egg-like odor, it’s a good indication of carbon monoxide. Although, for many homes, to have excess moisture is normal, this is a sign of CO leak. Look for excessive moisture on windows, especially when they are close to fuel-burning appliances to rule out any leaks. Lastly, if you or your household experience flu-like symptoms within your home but immediately find relief when outside of the home, this is a sign of CO emission. Although everyone is susceptible to the damaging effects of CO poisoning, the elderly, infants, and people with cardiovascular diseases and anemia are more prone to immediate neurological damage or death. It’s important to get out of the house right away and get in touch with a qualified generator service in Palm City.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide

The good news is that you can take action now to prevent this silent killer from inhabiting your home.

Your portable and flameless heating and portable generators should only be used outdoors. Flameless or chemical heaters should also be placed outdoors. Never use your gas oven to heat your home. Also make sure you have plenty of proper ventilation around the previously mentioned objects. Moreover, cars that idle in the garage are omitting toxic gas that could inhabit your home so always open the garage door when running your vehicle. Your chimney also needs to be inspected once a year. After you extinguish the fire/light the fire in the fireplace, make sure you open the damper for proper ventilation. Lastly, make sure you have a frequent inspection by a qualified generator service in Palm City. Only a service technician can perform the proper inspection should a leak occur. They’ll take the proper courses of action to ensure the safety of you and your family.

Carbon monoxide is nothing to take lightly but with these proper elements in place and your local technician on your speed dial, you can take the steps necessary to protect you and your family. Energized Gas services Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Palm Beach counties and the surrounding areas for all their propane and gas needs. Contact their handy team who pays attention to every aspect of your home so you can rest at ease.